ETC Labs says it’s developed an action plan to protect its oft-targeted Ethereum Classic blockchain against 51% attacks.
- Shaken by weeks of damaging hacks, ETC Labs rolled out on Wednesday a series of immediate security changes and long-term proposals that it says will bolster Ethereum Classic, the origin chain of Ethereum.
- For now, the blockchain-supporting organization will move to stabilize Ethereum Classic's plummeting hashrate, increase network monitoring, coordinate closely with exchanges and deploy a finality arbitration system.
- These immediate fixes will shore up Ethereum Classic in the short-term, ETC Labs said. More wide-ranging patches that all require community consensus are now in development and thus will take more time.
- Among the long-term proposals: changing Ethereum Classic's proof-of-work mining algorithm, introducing a treasury system, and adding 51% attack resistant features such as PIRLGUARD.
- Those consensus-only fixes could deploy in the next three to six months, ETC Labs said.
The leader in news and information on cryptocurrency, digital assets and the future of money, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.